So, you have looked at plenty of neon sign sites and have probably looked at plenty of LED sign sites by now and you are asking yourself, "What the heck is the difference?" Don't worry, we have all been through it and end up standing there scratching our heads trying to figure out which one to buy. Is one cheaper than the other? Will one last longer? What will other people think about my decision to purchase either neon, or LED signage?
Business signage is an important part of your advertising budget and you want to make the right decision. So let’s compare the pros and cons of LED signs versus neon signs. Here is a list of the most important differences:
- Price. Generally, LED signs are about 10% less expensive than comparable neon signs. The initial price difference between LED and neon are, therefore, not a significant factor in determining which sign you need for your business. Notice, however, that I said the “initial price.” When you compare the total cost of purchase, maintenance, and operation of LED signs versus neon signs the difference then becomes sizable. We’ll get into more detail about that in a minute.
- Space usage. This may not be a big deal for some businesses, but LED signs are 1/3 to 1/5 the thickness of neon signs. Because neon is a little more bulky than LED lights, neon signs tend to be a little wide and taller than its LED counterparts. That usually is not an issue for most business owners hanging signs in their windows or walls. The biggest difference is in depth. An LED sign will only be 1 inch thick whereas a neon sign will most likely be 3-5 inches deep because the the glass tubing must extend away from its backing.
- Shipping and installation. Because LED signs and thinner than neon signs, they are also lighter. This makes them easier to ship and install. In fact, our signs come complete with hanging hardware—it’s as easy as hanging a picture.
- Brightness. One of the most important features of LED signs is their brightness and clarity. LED technology produces a sign that is very bright yet clear and easy to read from a distance. Neon signs, however, tend to look a little blurry from far away. The clear glow of an LED sign is therefore more appealing to customers and leaves a clear image in their mind as they drive by your business. An excellent and effective form of advertising. And, LED signs are bright and easy to see even in direct sunlight, whereas it can be hard to tell if a neon sign is on or not in the daylight.
- Green factor. No, not the color green but green in the environmentally-friendly way. LED signs and lighting use very low power. LED signs use only 10 watts of power—that’s 6-10 times less than comparable neon signs. This low-power usage also makes LED signs safe and cool to the touch. Low-power usage also means you save a lot of money on operating your LED signs. Also, unlike neon, LED signs do not leak toxic gases (like argon and mercury). Neon signs slowly leak their gases out, which is why you sometimes see neon signs flickering or with part of the sign out.
- Maintenance. LED signs have virtually no maintenance. There are no gases, no glass tubes, no argon or mercury problems and LED lights don't run out. LED lights are just that...they are small, extremely bright lights (LED stands for light-emitting diodes). LED lights don't have as many issues or problems because its simply little lights. Neon signs will eventually lose all of the neon inside the glass tubes which means you have to replace the gas by taking it to professional neon sign manufacturer or simply buy a new sign. Of course this process takes 10 years or more but eventually it will happen. Another added bonus of LED signs—they are easier to clean than neon signs because there are no tubes to clean off (and those tubes get hot!). LED signs are also high durable and last up to 100,000 hours, even if left on 24/7.
- Animation: LED business signs are available in all kinds of flashing and animation options. Because they are made of many separate lights (instead of a continuous glass tube), LED signs offer more animation options than their neon sign counterparts. Also, many are available in your choice of custom colors to match your business’s unique style and personality.
Add it all up and it is easy to see why bright LED signs are the wave of the future. They are a great, eye-catching, budget-friendly way to attract customers. Light up your world the LED way!